Sunday, June 25, 2006

Acceptance

I am mediocre.

It is a fact that I realise but just can't accept. Realising something and accepting it are 2 completely different things. When you realise something, you acknowledge it's presence and let it reside at the back of your mind, surfacing sometimes perhaps, but mostly kept dormant. Accepting something, on the other hand, requires you to acknowledge it, embrace it and integrate it into part of your being.

It's just so hard for me to accept the fact that I am mediocre. Just so hard. It feels like somebody shoving this huge ball of dough down my throat and coercing me to swallow. But I won't. I'm choking and retching and gasping and grappling at the lump, knowing full well that all I have to do if I want to breathe again is just swallow. But I refuse. I choose to struggle and fight on instead.

I sometimes wonder, if I didn't try hard, would things have been the same? Would they have been different? I mean, I can be criticised for many things I do, but never for not trying. But u know what? sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. Sometimes I just wanna stop trying. Stop setting insane expectations of myself that I haven't the capacity to meet. Just chill out and go with the flow.

I hold so dear to my heart the Chinese saying "qin2 neng2 bu3 zhuo2". My entire life has been run based on that belief, because I always had faith in its wisdom and truth. But recently it's limitations have become so apparent, I begin to doubt it's authenticity. Maybe I have been a fool from the start.

I am just so full of self directed angst today.

Comments:
no... u r not mediocre... not to me... not to ppl who love u... (ur parents/ ur family/ ur friends)...
ppl are outstanding because they only pick the top few...
mediocre is not a word i'll pick... just say, there's plenty of room at the back to spread around...
in the end, it's whether we care for other ppl that makes a difference to other ppl... life is not just abt being at the top... it's abt caring, spreading joy/ laughter, giving ppl convenience and facilitating others too... u do all that, dear...
thanks for being in my life... (albeit all the complaints i must download to J, u r still an impt part in my life...)
 
gal.. ur one of the angels i know in my life. not being able to live up to expectations in one area of your life wldn't qualify as "mediocre". if u've done ur best, u've done ur best, love urself for having given it ur all. dun beat urself up over it. k? all the best for the other papers. i'll see ya next week! - xueling
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?