Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Trudging through the English Language

for the past few days i have embarked on this quest to find a precise word to describe my deliberate attempts to avoid studying. i have scoured my brain only to find procrastination, laziness, slothiness, non-activity. but they all don't cut it. my actions don't stem from a lack of drive; on the contrary, they are exceedingly purposeful. from the careful planning of every hour to ensure it is filled with non-academic activity, to my stuffing of all medical books back in their shelves so they stop raging their guilt-inducing campaign against me. Everything I've done is pre-meditated.

2 days ago i finally found the word--Dalliance. the free online dictionary by farlex defines it as "the deliberate act of wasting time instead of working". and i think, eureka! what better word to describe my actions? i almost begin dancing for sheer joy until i read the second definition beneath:playful behavior intended to arouse sexual interest. suddenly any ecstasy i feel disappears. i feel totally and utterly cheated. the english language is just unfathomable. how does it make sense to have the exact same word meaning 2 such completely different things? God forbid what would happen if I were to talk about my dalliances, meaning the former definition only to have it misinterpreted it as the latter.

so i guess it's back to the dictionary to uncover another word to fill in that gap in my vocabulary.
But for now, i guess i'll have to settle for "procrastination". At least that is one word that leaves no room for misinterpretation.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?